Thursday, October 1, 2015

Canadiens’ Pacioretty set for return ahead of schedule

montreal canadiens jersey
BROSSARD, Que. — What seemed unlikely three months ago has now become a reality. When the Montreal Canadiens Jersey host the Ottawa Senators at the Bell Centre Thursday, Max Pacioretty will return to their lineup.

It was during a sprinting exercise in July that Pacioretty felt a tug in his hamstring and as he pulled up, he hyperextended his left knee–causing multiple fractures to his tibial plateau.

All along, the target date for a return to action for Pacioretty has been October 7, when the Canadiens will kick off their regular season in Toronto. But once again, he’s defying the odds to come back earlier than expected from a serious injury.

He was cleared just six weeks after suffering a severe concussion and fractured vertebrae in his neck after a violent hit from Boston’s Zdeno Chara sidelined him in 2011.
The following season, Pacioretty suffered ligament damage to his wrist in a game, but managed not to miss any subsequent games with the injury.

And in 2013, Pacioretty returned to action just eight days after an emergency appendectomy.


"I’ve never had my patience tested like I have the last 12 weeks," said Pacioretty. "It was definitely much worse when I was in bed for [the first] seven weeks.

"I had good days and bad days. On good days I’d say I’ll for sure play game one [of the regular season]. On bad days I’d say there’s no way I’ll play."

Pacioretty Jersey had been skating on his own for the better part of two weeks before joining his teammates at practice last week. On Monday, he had a scan, met with team doctors and received the green light to resume practising with contact as early as Wednesday.

He admits he still has a bit of a limp when walking, but assures he feels comfortable skating. Residual stiffness from the injury is being alleviated by warming up earlier and adjusting his pre-practice and pregame rituals to ensure he feels as comfortable as possible.

As for the risk Pacioretty’s assuming in appearing in game-action a week ahead of schedule, Pacioretty said "I’m wearing a brace–I think that takes away the risk. I think I’m going to wear it for a bit longer than expected."
And though Wednesday’s contest is only an exhibition, that’s not dulling Pacioretty’s excitement regarding stepping on the ice with the captain’s "C" stitched onto his jersey for the first time since his teammates elected him on September 17.

"It’s going to be very special for me," said Pacioretty.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien is certainly relieved to see his best scorer returning to action. Pacioretty has led the Canadiens in goals in each of the last three seasons, and the coach believes the opportunity for his captain to regain his timing in pre-season will be an essential part of ensuring he doesn’t lag when the games begin to matter.
"He worked so hard to try to make a comeback, and I was really impressed about the time and effort he put in," said Therrien. "It’s normal to be a little bit behind some guys because he hasn’t playing in games so far, but that’s why we’re going to take it one day at a time."

Players no longer come to training camp to get into shape. The competition is fierce right from the start, and it would be normal to assume Pacioretty will have some catching up to do after having to alter so much of his off-season conditioning program.

"I put in a lot of work this summer that I’ve never put in before, whether it be in the pool or other areas where it might not seem like it’s too hard but it definitely is hard," said Pacioretty. "I think that I got my stamina and endurance up to a level where I can jump into practice quicker. brendan gallagher jersey. But playing heavy minutes [in games] is something that might get my shape back quickly."

No word on how heavily Therrien will lean on him Thursday night, but Pacioretty led all Montreal forwards in ice-time last season–averaging 19:23 per game.

No comments:

Post a Comment